Chai tea is an aromatic spiced tea that originated in India. It is a great alternative to coffee and boasts many health benefits. Chock full of antioxidants, chai tea is known to have a calming effect, it aids in digestion and promotes circulation. Rather than purchasing a pricey, sugar-laden cup of chai at your local coffee shop, follow the recipe below and fill your home with the beautiful essence of cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg…it’s the perfect warm beverage for Fall.
Aromatic Chai Tea
4 cups water
2 large cinnamon sticks (broken up)
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup honey (more if you prefer it sweeter)
6 black tea bags (regular or decaffeinated)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- In a medium saucepan bring water, cinnamon and cloves to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon or strainer, remove the broken up cinnamon sticks and whole cloves.
- Add the milk and honey, stir slowly and allow the tea to simmer.
- Add the tea bags, remove from heat and cover, allowing the tea to steep for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the nutmeg and cardamom and stir to mix.
This recipe yields 2 large cups of chai tea. Enjoy it immediately or refrigerate to serve cold. Enjoy!